Buying of Property in canada


Please note that the comments contained on this page are for information purposes only and do not constitute legal advice.

              Please consult your lawyer before making any decision.


Buying Property in Canada

The bottom line is that buying real estate in Canada is very easy.

From a residency point of view, if you plan to stay in Canada for 6 months or less each year, the government considers you a non-resident, which means that you can still open a bank account and buy property, etc. If you plan to live in Canada for more than 6 months per year, you must apply for immigrant status.

It is important to note, however, that while the majority of Provinces (British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, New Brunswick) have no restrictions on foreign ownership of real estate in Canada, some do limit the amount of property/land that a non-resident can purchase. On Prince Edward Island, non-resident buyers must apply to the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission for land over 5 acres in size, or land with a shore frontage greater than 165 feet. In Manitoba, non-residents are prevented from owning farmland unless they actually plan to move there within 2 years. Non-residents may not own land over 10 acres in size in Saskatchewan, whilst in Alberta they may only own up to 2 plots of land not exceeding 20 acres in total.

Once you have chosen a realtor, secured a mortgage and found your property, an offer is made and once accepted, a deposit is payable. When buying a house in Canada, an offer must be made in writing so that all aspects of the transaction are clearly outlined within the offer. Once you (the buyer) have signed the document, it becomes legally binding. Initially the offer may have some conditions, like obtaining a mortgage, inspection by a qualified inspector, etc., After the due diligence if all the conditions are met or waived, then it become a binding for both parties (Buyer and the seller). If you withdraw from the offer at this stage, you may lose your deposit and may also be sued. Before signing the offer, make sure that every item staying in the property, eg. carpets, fixtures and appliances, is written on the offer as 'chattels included'. Your realtor should also insert two clauses stating that the offer will only proceed subject to building inspection and that you as the buyer are able to meet your financial obligations. Once your offer is complete it will be presented to the seller and negotiations are made. This may include changes in price, completion date and chattels. The changes are initialled by the seller and returned to you (the buyer) for your initials. The resulting Agreement of Purchase and Sale will state the purchase price and the deposit. The deposit is placed in a trust account and is credited towards the purchase price once the offer has been accepted by both the seller and the buyer and the transaction is complete.

Most realtors are self-employed and are on negotiable rather than fixed commission (payable by the seller). A purchaser can buy property using any realtor, regardless of whether that realtor originally listed the property. There are usually 2 realtors involved in a sale - the seller's agent and the buyer's agent. The commission received upon the sale of the property is divided between the 2 realtors. Some agents can also be dual agents but must declare this to buyers and sellers alike.


As a Canadian resident, financing is typically available at 75% of the purchase price for a primary residence over a 25-year term. For a non-resident, the ratio is generally 65% mortgage and 35% as a down payment. Qualifying for the mortgage financing is probably the same as in other countries - interviews via phone, fax, e-mail to gather personal information which includes assets/liabilities, employment and/or income information. Each borrower's application will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Your realtor will be able to advise you on suitable mortgage brokers.

The mortgage approval may take approximately 24-48 hours after application and documentation has been submitted to the lender. The documentation generally required is income verification, tax returns, credit bureau or bank's report (letter from borrower's own bank stating that all accounts are in good standing to date), down payment confirmation via bank statements, copy of 2 pieces of ID and real estate appraisal. Foreign banks cannot register mortgages in Canada, so any mortgage would have to be raised via a Canadian mortgage broker. 

The borrower will require the services of a Canadian lawyer to prepare the mortgage documents and registration at the Land Titles office. Documents can be couriered outside Canada for signing - this will need to be arranged with the lawyer and lender well in advance of the completion date.

Selling Property in Canada

When a non-resident sells Canadian real estate, he/she is required to pay the appropriate amount of taxes on any capital gain. The normal Canadian tax rates will be applied to 50% of the gain. However, a non-resident is required to pay an estimate of the tax before the sale, an amount equal to 25% of the gain. This amount is to be retained by the seller's lawyer until such time as a clearance certificate is received from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) in connection with the sale of the property. Upon payment, the CRA will issue a clearance certificate to the seller, but not until there has been a contract of purchase and sale with all subjects (conditions) removed. The wait for the certificate is usually 6-8 weeks. If the certificate is not obtained, the purchaser is required to withhold from the sale proceeds, a percentage of the selling price (usually 25-50%).

On or before the closing date, the mortgage money is transferred to the seller's lawyer and then to the seller and the title is transferred to the buyer's name.

The non-resident seller should file a Canadian income tax return for the year in which the sale occurs and should expect to receive a refund of a portion of the taxes paid. The taxation of Canadian real estate depends on whether the use of the property is for a principal residence, an active business or as a rental property. If it is used as a rental property, a 25% non-resident tax must be paid on the gross rent a tenant pays. However, if you use a professional property manager, the manager will, by law, withhold 25% of the gross rental revenue at source to be remitted to the Canada Revenue Agency. Then on or before March 31 of the following year, the property manager issues an NR4 form and you then have the right to file a Canadian tax return. The tax return is due before June 30 and enables you to claim expenses against that income and potentially request a refund.

Many countries, such as the U.S., have tax treaties with Canada that prevent you from being taxed in both Canada and your home country. It is advisable to contact a tax accountant in your country for more information.

Additional Costs and Fees when Buying and Selling Property

The following represents many of the additional costs and fees incorporated when buying property. Your realtor will be able to let you know which are applicable in your Province.


Non-residents of Canada pay tax on income received from sources in Canada. The type of tax paid, and the requirement to file income tax returns, depends on the type of income received.

Canada has tax treaties with many countries, including the United States and the UK. A tax treaty is designed to avoid double taxation for people who would otherwise pay tax on the same income in two countries.

Property Transfer (or Purchase) Tax / Land Transfer Fees are calculated between 0.5-2% of the property's total value (not applicable in Alberta, rural Nova Scotia or Saskatchewan). Properties in Toronto are also now subject to an additional land transfer tax. Please check with your realtor.

Since the 2005 Provincial Budget, Property Transfer Tax (PTT) is now exempt for individuals buying their first home as long as they meet certain criteria, namely that they are a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident and have never owned a home anywhere in the world; that they have lived in the province for at least one year prior to purchase; that they have filed two Canadian tax returns within the last six years; and that they must occupy the property as their principal residence for the first year of ownership. In Ontario, however, exemption for first time home buyers applies ONLY to newly constructed homes, not to resales. From February 2008, Toronto (and this may spread to other provincial cities) has its own Land Transfer Tax which allows first time home buyers of both new and resale homes to qualify for a rebate.

If the property is vacant land, the house must be constructed within one year of closing and the buyer must live in the house for the balance of the year.

There are other criteria needed as well to qualify for the PTT exemption, so it is best to consult a lawyer or notary.

Ontario Land Transfer Tax Explained


Ontario Land Transfer Tax

0.5% - on the first $55,000
1.0% - on portion between $55,000 - $250,000
1.5% - on balance over $250,000
2.0% - on anything over $400,000
Qualifying first time buyers receive a $2000 credit

Toronto Land Transfer Tax*

0.5% - on the first $55,000
1.0% - on portion between $55,000 - $400,000
2.0% - on anything over $400,000
First time buyers are exempt on the first $400,000

*  when you buy property in the city of Toronto, Toronto Land TransferTax is paid on top of the  Ontario Land Transfer Tax. In other words it is almost the double.

Clearance Certificate The typical fees associated with preparing and filing a clearance certificate, paid by the seller, range from $300-$1000, depending on the complexity of the transaction.

Capital Gains Tax is not applicable on your principal residence.

Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 5% is only payable on newly constructed homes and is often included in the quoted sales price. New home buyers of residences costing $350,000 or less can apply for a partial rebate of the 5% GST applicable on the purchase price as long as the home is going to be the purchaser's primary place of residence.

For new homes priced between $350,000 and $450,000 before GST, the GST rebate reduces proportionately. New homes priced $450,000 before GST or higher do not receive a rebate. There is no GST on resale housing unless the home has been substantially renovated, and then the tax is applied as if it were a new home.

GST questions are best answered at source ie: the Revenue Canada website, or by an accountant who is familiar with real estate revenue taxation.

Provincial Sales Tax (PST) ranges from 0-10% and again, is normally included in the quoted sale price.

Property Tax is an annual fee levied within local communities, which means there are many different rates within each province. The difference between Property Tax and Property Transfer Tax is that PTT is a one-time provincial tax which comes into effect upon transfer of property and Property Tax is paid annually to the local taxation authorities. It is determined by applying the value of the property as assessed by the provincial assessment authority to the current tax rates as stated by the local tax authority. The amount can differ each year but generally Property Tax falls between 0.5-2.5% of the home's market value.

Other Expenses

Realtor's Fees are paid by the vendor and are negotiable between 4 and 7% of the home's market value. As a rule of thumb, Realtors often charge 7% on the first $100,000 of the sale price and 3% on the remainder. GST of 5% is also applied to the Realtor's commission and is payable by the vendor.

Appraisal Fee Your lender may require a property appraisal at your expense. The cost is between $150-$250.

Survey Fee Your lender will require an up-to-date survey. If the Seller does not have one, you will have to pay to have one done.

Lawyer's Fees Lawyers review the Offer to Purchase, search the title, draw up mortgage documents and tend to the closing details. The fee will be approximately $500-$800. This amount varies between Provinces depending on the complexity of the sale and the type of property.

Home Inspection Fee is usually around $150-$400.

Status Crtificate Cost: If buying a condominium and the cost is around $100.

Property Insurance which covers the replacement value of the structure of your home and its contents.

Service Charges can be in the region of $35-$50 to hook up new services and utilities.

Condominium  Fees are charged monthly and cover building insurance and maintenance. The building’s property manager will provide you with the fee.  For a newly built condo worth $230,000, expect to pay approximately $250 per month (this varies from building to building).


I will get you Residential Commercial Property any where in Ontario

Mohammad S. Mian,  Broker

Cityscape Real Estate Ltd., Brokerage


Dear Buyers

Please feel free to cantact me for a best deal, if looking to buy a Plaza, Hotel, Gas Station, Land, Apartment Building, Office Building, Medical Building, Resorts or water front properties. I need your TRUST, that is the key.  


Tel: 905-241-2222

Fax: 905-241-3333, Cell: 416-414-6875



Here is some valuable information, tips and Glossary for Residential Buyers. For Buying or Selling Commercial properties, please call for any kind of questions.


Mortgage Approval:    A pre-approved mortage certificate is not a guarantee of being approved for the mortgage loan. Even if yu have a pre-approved mortgage crificat, you ust stil met your lender during the conditional offer priod to get a final mortgage approval. To ensur that the process goes smoothly, make sure you bring:

*   A copy of the property listing

*   A copy of the signed and accepted offer to purcase

Your lender will update / varify your financial informaion, the property and other information required to complete the mrtage application. Your lendr may require an appraisal and / or a survey. Title nsurance may also be required. Your lender will also inform you on various types of mortgage , terms, interest rates, amortization periods  payment schedules available. Depending upon your down payment, you may have a conventional or high ratio mortgage.


CONVENTIONAL MORTGAGE:   A conventional mortgage loan that does not exceed 80% of the lending value of the proerty. The lending value is typically the lesser of the property's purchaser price and the market value. Your down payment is at least 20% of the purhase price.  

HIGH - RATIO MORTGAGE:   If you contribute less than 20% of the home price as a down payment --- and as little as 5% --- you will need a high - ratio mortgage . This type of mortgage usually requires mortgage loan insurance, which is available from CMHC or a private company. Your lender may add the mortgage insurance premium to your mortgage or ask you to pay in full upon closing. As shown in the table below.

How Much Does CMHC Mortgage Loan Insurance Cost?

To obtain CMHC Mortgage Loan Insurance, lenders pay an insurance premium. Typically, your lender will pass these costs on to you. Your lender will give you the exact price when you apply for a mortgage.

The CMHC Mortgage Loan Insurance premium is calculated as a percentage of the loan and is based on the size of your down payment. The higher the percentage of the total house price/value that you borrow, the higher percentage you will pay in insurance premiums.

Remember: without mortgage insurance you may avoid the insurance premium but you’ll typically pay much higher interest rates and additional administrative fees. At the end of the day, for the vast majority of borrowers, the cost of CMHC Mortgage Loan Insurance is more than fully offset by the savings achieved.


Table of CMHC Mortgage Loan Insurance Premiums
Loan Size
(% of Lending Value)
Single Advance Premium
(% of Loan)

Up to and including 65%


Up to and including 75%


Up to and including 80%


Up to and including 85%


Up to and including 90%


Up to and including 95%
Traditional Down
Payment Flex Down


Up to and including 100%



FIXED, VARAIBLE OR ADJUSTABLE RATES:   Mortgage interest rates are either fixed, variable or adjustable. Afixed rate is locked-in rate that will not increase for the termof the mortgage. A variable rate fluctuates based on the market conditions while the mortgage payment remains unchanged. With an adjustable rate, both the interest rate and the mortgage payment vary based on the marker conditions.

CLOSED MORTGAGE:   A closed mortgage may be a good choice if you'd like to have a fixed payment that will allow you to adjust your budget to your new lifestyle. However closed mortgages are not flexable and there are often penalties or restrictive conditions attached to prepayments or additional lump sum payments. It may not be the best choice if you decide to move before the end of the term or if you want to benefit from a potential decrease of interest rate.

OPEN MORTGAGE:   This type of mortgage is flexible and can usually be pre-paid by any lump sum or paid off at any time without penalty. An open mortgage can be a good choice if you plan to sell your home in the near future or to pre-pay with a larg lump sums. Most lenders will allow you t convert to a closed mortgage at any time, although you may have to pay a small fee.

TERM: Your lender will also inform you on the term options for the mortgage. This is the length of time that the agreed-upon mortgage contract conditions, including interest rate, will be fixed. It can vary from six months to ten years. Choosing a longer term (e.g. five years gives you the chance to plan ahead and protects you from interest rate increases while you adjust to home ownership. Weigh your options carefully and don't be afraid to ask your lender to work out the difference between a one, two, five year or longer term.

AMORTIZATION:   This is the amount of time over which the entire debt will be repaid. Most mortgages are amortized over 15, 20, or 25-year periods. The longer the amortization, the lower your schedule mortgage payments the more interest you pay in the long run.

PAYMENT SCHEDULE:    A morgage loan is often repaid in regular payments, either monthly, biweekly or weekly. Payment schedules that are more frequent can save some interest costs by reducing the outstanding principal balance more quickly than with monthly payments. The more payments you make in a year, the lower the overall interest you have to pay on your mortgage.





For residential properties

Purchase Price

Calculation of Land Transfer Tax

0 to $55,000
.005 x Amount
$55,001 to $250,000
(.01 x Amount) minus 275
$250,001 to $400,000
(.015 x Amount) minus 1,525
Greater than $400,000
(.02 x Amount) minus 3,525
Purchase Price Calculation of Land Transfer Tax
0 to $55,000
.005 x Amount
$55,001 to $250,000
(.01 x Amount) minus 275
Greater than $250,000
(.015 x Amount) minus 1,525

Example:   Purchase Price = $275,000

Land Transfer Tax =  (.015 x $275,000) minus $1,525  =  $2,600

For commercial properties

Example:          Purchase Price = $375,000

Land Transfer Tax =  (.015 x $375,000) minus $1,525  =  $4,100






amortization—the period of time, most often 10, 15, or 25 years, needed to reduce a debt to zero when payments are made regularly

appraisal—an estimate—by a trained appraiser—of the market value of a property

Approved Lender—a lending institution authorized by the Government of Canada through CMHC to

make loans under the National Housing Act. Only Approved Lenders can negotiate mortgages

which require mortgage loan insurance.

assumption agreement–a legal document signed by a homebuyer requiring the buyer to assume Responsibility for a mortgage by the builder or original owner

blended payment—a mortgage payment that includes principal and interest. The regular payments stay the same during the life of the mortgage, but the principal being paid off increases as the interest portion decreases.

building permit—a certificate issued by a municipality giving permission to build or repair a building

closing costs—costs additional to the purchase cost of a home, such as legal fees and transfer fees. Closing costs usually range from 1.5 per cent to four per cent of a home’s selling price.

closing date—the date on which the sale becomes final and the new owner takes possession

commitment letter—mortgage approval– written notice from the mortgage lender to the borrower that approves the advancement of a specified amount of mortgage funds under specified conditions

conditional offer—conditions of sale—an Offer to Purchase that has conditions, such as the sale being conditional on arranging a mortgage

conventional mortgage loan—a mortgage loan up to a maximum of 75 per cent of the lending value of the property. A conventional mortgage does not require mortgage loan insurance.

deed—a legal document signed by the seller and the buyer transferring ownership of the house. The deed is registered as evidence of ownership.

default—failure to live up to the terms of a mortgage. Not making mortgage payments may force the mortgage holder to take legal action to take the property—foreclose

deposit—money placed in trust by the buyer when an offer to purchase is made. The money is held until the sale closes, when it is paid to the seller.

discharge of mortgage—a document signed by the lender and given to the borrower when a mortgage loan has been repaid in full

down payment—the portion of a house price the buyer must pay before getting a mortgage. A down payment usually ranges from five per cent to 25 per cent of the purchase price.

easement—a right acquired for access to, over, or to use another person’s land for a specific purpose, such as a driveway, a pathway or public utilities

foreclosure—a legal procedure in which the lender gets ownership of the property if the borrower defaults on the mortgage loan

holdback—an amount of money held back by the lender during construction of a house to ensure that construction is satisfactory at every stage. Usually, the holdback is 10 per cent of the total cost of construction.

lien (mechanic’s)—a claim against property for money owing. A supplier or subcontractor who has not been paid can file a lien, which may

maturity date—the last day of the time period of the mortgage, and the date on which the mortgage

loan must either be paid in full or renewed

option agreement—an agreement saying that in to buy the property within a specified period of time: if you do not buy within the specified period, you lose your deposit

planning regulations—municipal regulations, under zoning bylaws, about types of buildings and use of land

principal—the amount of money actually owed

refinance—to pay off a mortgage and arrange for a new mortgage

survey—a document that shows property boundaries and measurements, specifies the location of buildings on the property, and shows easements or encroachments

title—a freehold title gives the holder full and exclusive ownership of land and building for an indefinite period. A leasehold title gives the holder a right to use and occupy land and buildings for a defined period.

zoning bylaws—municipal or regional bylaws that specify or restrict land use




Canadian cities and towns

Usually, towns and cities set aside or “zone” specific areas for highrise apartment buildings. You will see

clusters of highrises in the downtown core. Some are apartment buildings. Some are office buildings and

stores. You will also find highrise apartment buildings on the outskirts— suburban areas or

suburbs—of towns and cities. Land costs in big cities are high. For that reason, there are usually many apartment buildings in big cities. Apartments can be ideal for people who cannot afford to buy a house. Young adults and newcomers often live in apartments in the centre of a city, where services and public transportation are close by. Suburbs are typical features of Canadian cities. People build homes on the cheaper land outside the

downtown core. Suburbs can spread far beyond the downtown city core. Over time suburbs develop their own characteristics. Some are almost entirely residential communities. Others have factories and office buildings. Many of Canada’s older suburbs have developed into cities with a range of cultural activities, shopping and recreation. The advantage of suburbs is larger apartments for less rent. The disadvantage is that you may need a

car for transportation.


Location of housing & Neighbourhoods

Canada is a country of great ethnic diversity—in some cities more than 40 per cent of the population

is recent immigrants. They come from many countries and from many different cultures. It is the different cultures that create neighbourhoods. It is possible to live in an area where many people from your culture live. The advantages are great. Your neighbours speak your language. You will probably be near familiar shops, restaurants and places of worship. If apartments are available, it is likely that landlords will be familiar with your

culture. You will probably find that people from other cultures shop in your neighbourhood for the variety of products offered. In urban centres, residents are not only of mixed cultural backgrounds, but of varied socioeconomic backgrounds. Universities are usually in the city centre, so there is often a large student

population. This adds to the exciting diversity.


Choosing a neighbourhood

There are many non-governmental agencies that help immigrants make the adjustment to Canada.

The agencies are familiar with your culture and the city. They can help you find the right neighbourhood for you.

Here are some things to keep in mind when you choose a neighbourhood:

Doctor, dentist

Are you close to medical and dental care?

Fire department

Are firefighters nearby? Is it easy to find addresses in the neighbourhood?

Place of worship

Is there a place of worship for your faith in the neighbourhood?

Public transportation

Is the neighbourhood close to public transportation? Will the public transportation system take you where you need to go and do it quickly?


Are there public parks, playgrounds, playing fields, arenas, community centres and other recreational areas and centres in the neighbourhood?


Are schools within walking distance? Do schools have language instruction to help your children do well? Do you feel comfortable with the students and the student mix?


If you do not have a car, can you walk to stores? Are stores on the public transit route? Do the stores sell

the foods you want?


If you don’t have a job, are there businesses in the area where you might find a job?



There are many different types of housing in Canada. Housing types are similar across the

country. Often, different words describe the same type of housing in different parts of the country.

In Canada, each level of a house or a building is a storey. A storey is one level. The ground level or ground floor is the first storey, the second floor is the second storey. A basement is not a storey. Canadian houses almost always have finished or unfinished basements. A basement is not the same as a cellar. To Canadians, a cellar is an

unheated storage space below ground. Basements are heated and usually only partly below ground level. In the part above ground level there are small windows. Basements usually have a utility or laundry space or room for a clothes washer and dryer. The furnace is usually in another part of the basement. Homeowners store bulky items, such as bicycles, tools, trunks, and sports equipment in unfinished basements. Some homeowners keep winter clothing in the basement in the summer. A finished basement is insulated and finished, usually to the same level as the rest of the house. Homeowners use finished basements as family rooms, TV rooms or additional bedrooms.

Basement apartment

A basement apartment is a basement converted to an apartment. It may have a separate entrance. The apartment may have its own bathroom, kitchen, laundry room and heating system, or share with the rest of the house.


A detached house is not attached to any other house and is usually one or two storeys high. A detached house is also called single-detached or a single family dwelling. A one-storey is called a bungalow. There are many styles of bungalows. A ranch-style bungalow is a large, spread out bungalow.

Highrise apartment

A highrise apartment is an apartment in a building that can be from six to 30—or more—storeys high. Highrise apartment towers have elevators and security systems to monitor entry and exit. Because they are newer buildings they often have laundry facilities, sports and recreation facilities, and so on. Highrise buildings are well built and have efficient electrical, heating, sewage and plumbing systems.

Rooming House

A rooming house rents rooms by the week or month. Often there is a refrigerator—usually called a fridge—in the room to store food. Usually, roomers share the kitchen and bathroom. A single person is more likely to use a rooming house.

Semi-detached or duplex

A semi-detached house (or “semi”) is attached to another, similar house. The common wall is thick enough to prevent sound passing between the units. Semis can be either one or two storeys and usually have yards in the back. In some cities, such as Montréal, semis are called duplexes. In other parts of Canada, a duplex is a two-storey house with separate dwelling units on each storey. If there is a yard, it is usually for first floor residents only.

Single-room occupancy (SRO)

Similar to a rooming house, but with kitchen and bathroom in each unit.

Townhouse or row house

Townhouses—sometimes called row houses—are several houses with common walls between each house. They are usually two storeys. A stacked townhouse is one townhouse sitting on top of another. Each townhouse is two storeys.

Walk-up or lowrise apartment

A walk-up or lowrise is an apartment building that does not have an elevator. Generally, monthly rent for a walk-up is less than monthly rent for a highrise apartment. Walk-ups are usually older buildings less than five storeys high. They usually have fewer conveniences, such as laundry rooms or storage lockers.



Canadians take care of their houses and gardens. They expect their neighbours to take care of their houses and gardens. In most cities and towns, municipal bylaws require homeowners to keep their property neat and tidy. Some cities require owners to shovel the sidewalk in front of their house in winter. If you rent an apartment, this is the landlord’s responsibility. Most Canadians want to eventually buy a home. When Canadians grow older, they often sell their houses and use the money from the sale to buy a condominium or rent an apartment.

Many Canadians keep their distance from their neighbours. Children are not as reserved as adults. If you have children, they will probably get to know other children—and their parents—in the neighbourhood very quickly.

Most Canadians do not expect people to visit without an invitation. In an emergency, however, neighbours usually offer help quickly.If you have problems with a neighbour, your landlord or superintendent, try to solve the

problem before going to any authorities. Canadians generally like to work things out in person. Settling disputes through the legal system is generally a last resort.

Pace of life

A fact of life in Canada, especially in the large urban centres, is time pressure. Many Canadian cities occupy large geographic areas. People commute to and from work by car or public transit. Commuting takes time. Most Canadians don’t have as much time as they would like for friends, families and neighbours. This has affected the way of life, so that for some immigrants, Canadians appear to be less willing to take time for leisure activities. Many newcomers to Canada find this very different, especially if they are from cultures which place an emphasis on personal and social interaction, where they tend to walk rather than drive, and where they tend to visit friends without calling first. This time pressure is a big consideration when looking for the right location.



Tenure is the word in Canadian law that means the legal rights you have over your house. The three most common types of tenure in Canada are freehold ownership, condominium ownership and rental.



Ownership means you can sell your house any time you want. Detached and semi-detached homes, duplexes and townhouses are usually owned freehold.

Freehold means that one person (or two, such as joint ownership by spouses) owns the land and house outright. There is no space co-owned or co-managed with owners of other units. Freehold owners can do what they want with their property—up to a point. They must obey municipal bylaws, subdivision agreements, building codes

and federal and provincial laws, such as those protecting the environment.

Condominium ownership

Condominium ownership is ownership of a unit, usually in a highrise. Condominiums can also be townhouses or lowrises. Condominium ownership means you own the unit you live in and share ownership rights for the

common space of the building. Common space includes areas such as corridors, the grounds around the building, and facilities such as a swimming pool and recreation rooms. Condominium owners together control the common

areas through an owners’ association. The association makes decisions about using and maintaining the

common space.




Buying Your First Home
Many renters are starting to think about purchasing a home of their own. This article highlights several factors that should be considered when purchasing a home.
The Right Home at the Right Price
This article helps you become a savvy buyer, by pointing out some of the pitfalls inherent in the home-buying process.
Avoid Common Buyer Errors
Some buyers, however, caught up in the excitement of buying a new home tend to overlook some items. When you have a systematic plan before you shop, you’ll be sure to avoid these costly errors. Here are some tips on making the most of your home purchase.
But Do You Need It
Buying a home can be an emotional, time-consuming, and complex process. There are a few things that you can do to help make the process go as smooth as possible.
First Name: 
Last Name: 
* * Maximum of 2000 characters

* Enter the text in the image:

COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES, HOMES FOR SALE  |  Buying  |  Selling   |  Calculators  |  Property Search  |  Property Evaluation  |  TERMINOLOGY  |  Online TV  |  Contact Me  |  Condo Buyers  |  Your Lucky Numbers
Privacy Policy  |  Site Map  |  Profile  |  Sign In

Choose language: